Our Church History
The little white-steeple church has been a landmark building in Ridgway, Colorado for all who pass by on Highway 62, and enjoys a colorful history dating back to 1888, when it was known as the Ridgway Methodist Episcopal Church, the first recorded church in Ridgway.
In October of 1903, the property at its present location was purchased for $25.00 and construction began.
On November 29, 1903, the Ridgway Hose Company volunteered to pay half the cost of the church bell and belfry, provided the belfry would be available and open at all times to be rung for fire emergencies.
The building itself has withstood several fires over time, including a roof fire in 1913, a partial fire in 1930, and a basement fire in 1945.
In 1974, the church changed ownership from the United Methodist Church to become Ridgway Community Church.
Many changes and improvements have been made to the church over the years. In October 1998, construction and was a team effort, involving the hard work of volunteers, members, and friends, led by a core of construction professionals from Montrose, Telluride, Ridgway, and Ouray. The addition included a new fellowship hall, classrooms, restrooms, a nursery, and two church offices which were needed to accommodate the ongoing growth of the church.
In 2003 we celebrated our 100th anniversary!